Start an Emergency & Disaster Management Degree at American Military University.
Emergency and disaster management briefing for March 19, 2018: A trip wire likely set off a blast in Austin that injured two bicyclists, a Tampa police officer was shot multiple times while trying to serve an arrest warrant early Monday, a strong storm system is poised to deliver severe weather to the southeastern United States today, a civil lawsuit is to be filed Monday after the deadly FIU bridge collapse, travelers at three airports may have been exposed to the measles, and a major 20 vehicle crash on I-270 in Maryland injures four.
- Austin, Texas police say that [link url=”http://abcnews.go.com/US/explosion-austin-men-injured-authorities/story?id=53841032″ title=”two bicyclists were injured in a blast that may have been detonated by a trip wire”]. Authorities are frantically trying to determine if this incident is related to the three recent package bombings that have sparked widespread fear among residents. The alleged trip wire blast occurred in a suburban neighborhood known as Travis Country at around 8:30 p.m., and police are cautioning area residents to be extra vigilant and [link url=”http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/19/austin-on-edge-after-explosion-leaves-2-injured-cause-blast-unclear.html” title=”avoid going near or picking up suspicious/unattended packages, backpacks, or bags”], and to immediately alert authorities.
- A Tampa, Florida [link url=”http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/19/suspect-arrested-after-shooting-florida-police-officer-multiple-times-authorities-say.html” title=”police officer was shot multiple times”] while attempting to serve an arrest warrant to a suspect at around 2:40 a.m. Monday. Officials said that the suspect opened fire on Officer Rich Lehr when he attempted to serve the arrest warrant, striking him multiple times. A standoff ensued, until the suspect, Walter Jeziorski, 35, [link url=”https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-tampa/tampa-police-officer-shot-multiple-times-while-serving-warrant-suspect-in-custody” title=”called his mother, who was finally able to convince him to surrender”].
- [link url=”http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/19/damaging-hail-and-tornadoes-threatened-for-southeast-us.html” title=”A strong weather system is poised to move through the southeastern United States on Monday”], bringing high winds, damaging hail, and even tornadoes. Weather forecasters state that the storm is likely to impact areas from Nashville to Chattanooga, and Birmingham, Huntsville, and Tuscaloosa in Alabama, from Monday afternoon in the evening [link url=”http://www.spc.noaa.gov” title=”as warm, moist, and unstable air is pulled into the region”]. Hail the size of tennis balls, winds of near 70 mph, and tornadoes are most likely to occur in the central and northern parts of Alabama with this strong storm system.
- The first civil lawsuit is set to be filed after the [link url=”http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/18/first-civil-suit-looms-in-deadly-florida-bridge-collapse.html” title=”deadly pedestrian bridge collapse at Florida International University”] last Thursday. The bridge, which had been put into place in just a short time the previous weekend, suddenly collapsed onto the roadway below, [link url=”http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/16/companies-behind-florida-bridge-collapse-have-history-fines-failures-lawsuits.html” title=”crushing eight vehicles and killing six people”]. Earlier in the week, an engineer had called the Florida Department of Transportation, noting that a crack was in the bridge’s concrete, but indicated it was not a safety risk.
- Individuals traveling through the [link url=”http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/03/15/travelers-may-have-been-exposed-to-measles-at-detroit-newark-and-memphis-airports.html” title=”Newark, Memphis, and Detroit airports may have been exposed to the measles”], after two separate international travelers were diagnosed with the highly contagious disease. One individual, who had been traveling abroad, landed at Detroit Metro Airport on March 6, while the other individual, a child, traveled from Brussels, Belgium, and connected in Newark to a flight bound for Memphis. Health officials urge anyone recently traveling through these airports to [link url=”https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/03/14/detroit-traveler-measles/425446002/” title=”watch for any signs of the measles, which can be life-threatening, including rash, high fever, or cough”], that could occur up to April 2.
- [link url=”http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/19/maryland-270-pileup-involving-20-vehicles-leaves-multiple-injured.html” title=”Twenty vehicles were involved in a crash on Interstate 270 in Maryland”] early Monday morning after a tractor-trailer carrying stones and gravel lost its load. The major crash occurred in Germantown, a town about 24 miles northwest of Washington, DC, injuring 4 people, although a total of 24 individuals were evaluated at the scene. The crash [link url=”https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2018/03/19/all-southbound-lanes-of-i-270-in-germantown-md-are-blocked-following-a-crash/?utm_term=.9e98c33e4ac8″ title=”closed all the lanes of the interstate for several hours”] as first responders provided medical care and multiple law enforcement agencies worked together to investigate the crash.
— National Police Association (@NatPoliceAssoc) March 19, 2018
We're tracking a severe weather threat Mon/Tue across the SE. @NWSSPC has issued ENHANCED outlooks and strong tornadoes, large hail, and severe straight-line winds are all possible. Follow your local NWS office for more detailed updates for your area.https://t.co/GWrG0hTRHN pic.twitter.com/whlrtgozM0
— National Weather Service (@NWS) March 19, 2018
— WPLG Local 10 News (@WPLGLocal10) March 19, 2018
Health officials are warning people who went through airports in Newark, New Jersey; Detroit; and Memphis this month may have been exposed to measles. It was carried by two people from overseas. @CBSMMiller reporting. https://t.co/JIquxmbybg pic.twitter.com/XOHcsKR9DW
— CBS News (@CBSNews) March 15, 2018
Update: More than 20 vehicles crashed in the southbound lanes of Interstate 270 after a tractor trailer carrying stones and gravel lost its load along the busy roadway. https://t.co/cXhqzRvVvj
— NBCWashington (@nbcwashington) March 19, 2018