Like they say about sports stars, entrepreneurs, and movie celebrities “How do they do it?” Even though being an online learner may not be as glamorous as the aforementioned careers, it can still be very demanding, and at times mind-boggling to watch how people handle all of their activities and maintain a healthy and steady GPA.
Recently I came across an article in EDUCAUSE Quarterly that details how some high performing online students are able to juggle the daily grind, family life, social life, and a demanding degree program.
Some tried and tested techniques that they outline are:
- Develop a time-management strategy.
- Make the most of online discussions. (This is referring to student interaction through forums, social media groups, and discussion threads.)
- Use it or lose it.
- Make questions useful to your learning.
- Stay motivated.
- Communicate the instruction techniques that work.
- Make connections with fellow students and participate.
My pick this week is dedicated to hard-working online learners who are constantly trying to educate themselves and make a difference in their lives. Everyone can be part of the extended learning experience, it may take some life balancing, but in the long run the rewards are worth some temporary concessions and sacrifices.
– By J. Mason