AMU Careers & Learning Military Online Learning Tuition Assistance

Information for Army TA Students

The Army has released information on key changes to Army Tuition Assistance for FY14 that will begin on January 1, 2014. These FAQs are provided by GoArmyEd to help students using Army TA.

Q1. What will happen to the classes I am currently enrolled in through GoArmyEd that start after 1 January 2014? Will I be able to continue?
A. Any FY14 TA request approved by 31 December 2013 will be honored for payment. However, no new enrollments are authorized until you meet the new eligibility requirements.

Q2. I have already used 6 semester hours of TA since October. Do I have 16 more starting 1 January 2014 or only 10 more?
A. If you used TA for classes that started between 1 October and 31 December 2013, those semester hours will count towards your FY14 16 semester hour total.

Q3. Do 16 semester hours of TA-funded classes start at the beginning of the calendar year or at the beginning of the academic year?
A. The 16 semester hour is based on the fiscal year, 1 October to 30 September. TA is associated with the class start date within a fiscal year.

Q4. Can I take more than 16 semester hours a year if my classes are less than $250 per credit?
A. No, the credit-hour cost of your tuition will not change the 16 semester hours of TA-funded classes for which you are eligible.

Q5. Will remedial college classes count towards the 16 semester hour limit?
A. Yes, the semester hours used for remedial classes will count towards your 16 semester hour fiscal year total.

Q6. Will classes dropped for personal reasons count towards the 16 semester hour limit?
A. Yes, classes dropped after the start date in which there is a cost to the Army will count towards your 16 semester hour fiscal year total.

Q7. Will classes dropped for military reasons count towards the 16 semester hour limit?
A. If you have to drop a class due to unforeseen military reasons, those semester hours will not count towards your 16 semester hour fiscal year total. Note: Military withdrawal must be approved by a Soldier’s Education Services Officer to be valid.

Q8. Can I start using TA for my master’s degree as soon as I graduate from AIT, OCS or BOLC since I already had a bachelor’s when I joined?
A. If you already had a baccalaureate degree when you entered the military, you may begin working on a master’s degree once you have met the one-year service requirement from the end of AIT, OCS, or BOLC.

Q9. If I have prior service, do I still have to wait 10 years?
A. Any prior military service completed with an honorable discharge will count towards the 10-year time requirement.

Q10. If TA pays for my bachelor’s degree do I have to meet the 10-year requirement to pursue a certificate/diploma?
A. No, the 10-year rule does not apply to certificates/diplomas.

Q11. Can I continue to work on my graduate degree even though I do not have 10 years?
A. You can continue to work on your graduate degree using funds other than TA as TA cannot be used for graduate level classes until the 10-year time requirement has been met (unless you did not use TA to earn your bachelor’s).

Q12. Is 10 years of service counted from the date I completed my bachelor’s or from the time I joined the Army?
A. The 10-year policy for a graduate degree is based on when you entered the Service and not on when you completed your bachelor’s degree.

Q13. If TA only paid for one class to complete my bachelor’s degree do I still have to wait until I have 10 years in service to start my master’s?
A. Yes, the 10-year window for a second degree (post-bachelor’s) TA-funded degree applies if TA paid for any portion of your bachelor’s degree.

Q14. If I use TA to earn an associate’s degree do I have to wait 10 years to be eligible for TA?
A. No, the 10- year policy for a second degree applies to the transition from an undergraduate to a graduate degree, not from an associate’s to a bachelor’s degree.

Q15. Will the 10-year service requirement for a second TA-funded degree be counted the same way for Active Duty and for Reserve Component Soldiers?
A. The 10-year time requirement for a second degree (post-bachelor’s) will be based on a Soldier’s BASD, if they are active duty, or PEBD, if they are in the Army National Guard or Army Reserve.


Comments are closed.