Emergency and disaster management briefing January 11, 2017: Orlando shooting kills officer and results in massive manhunt for armed and dangerous suspect, a massive deep underwater earthquake shakes eastern areas of the Philippines, a Los Angeles college pays hacker ransom after cyber attack, Loyola High School cancels classes due to threat on social media, Napa flood control mitigation project successfully keeps water out of homes and businesses, allegedly tainted milk powder now responsible for 25 product recalls, severe weather impacts the West Coast stranding vehicles and closing roads.
- The [link url=”http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/us/orlando-shooting-manhunt/index.html” title=”manhunt continues for the alleged suspect, Markeith Loyd”], in the deadly shooting of an Orlando police officer on Monday. Loyd opened fire after the officer attempted to confront him on Monday, killing her. The officer, identified as [link url=”http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/09/us/orlando-shooting-officer-killed/index.html” title=”Master Sgt. Debra Clayton”], who was also a first responder at the Pulse Nightclub deadly shooting in Orlando in June. An Orange County sheriff’s deputy, [link url=”http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/09/us/orlando-shooting-officers-profiles/index.html” title=”Norman Lewis, also died in a motorcycle crash”] during a search for the suspect. Authorities warn that the alleged suspect, who also killed his pregnant girlfriend, Sade Dixon, is [link url=”http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/us/orlando-shooting-manhunt/index.html” title=”armed and very dangerous”].
- A [link url=”http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4104540/Massive-7-3-magnitude-underwater-earthquake-strikes-Philippines.html” title=”7.3 magnitude earthquake occurred under the Celebes Sea”] on Tuesday caused tremors in to be felt in some of the [link url=”http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2017/01/10/sabah-shaken-by-quake/” title=”eastern regions of the Philippines, including Sabah, Sandakan, and Tawau”]. The quake was centered south of the island nation, at a depth of about 380 miles. Local seismologists considered the depth too deep to create a tsunami or cause any damages. [relink url=”https://amuedge.com/scientists-keep-their-eyes-and-ears-on-the-ring-of-fire-earthquake-zone/”]
- A college in Los Angeles has reportedly paid a [link url=”http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01/11/los-angeles-college-reportedly-pays-hackers-28g-ransom.html” title=”ransom of $28,000 in bitcoins after experiencing a cyber hack on January 3″]. The hack disrupted email, online, and financial systems, and locked teachers and students out of their computers. Reports indicate that the [link url=”http://abc7.com/education/la-valley-college-paid-$28k-cyber-ransom-to-hackers/1694172/” title=”Los Angeles Valley College chose to pay the ransom”] because it was the least expensive option available. The school allegedly used a cyber insurance policy to pay the ransom fee. The hack is believed to have been initiated by a multi-national group in Eastern Europe that is well-organized and well known by the U. S. government and law enforcement, but is a country with which the U. S. does not do business, allegedly making it difficult to prevent such hacks. [relink url=”https://amuedge.com/a-new-color-coded-world-of-cyber-threats/”]
- [link url=”http://abc7.com/news/classes-canceled-at-loyola-high-school-after-anonymous-threat/1697054/” title=”Loyola High School in Los Angeles, California”] has cancelled classes and on-campus activities today, January 11, after being made aware of an anonymous threat on social media late Tuesday night. Prior to making the announcement on its website, the [link url=”http://www.loyolahs.edu/school-news/2017/1/11/school-closed-on-wednesday-january-11th.html” title=”school consulted with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD)”] and the decision was made as a precaution in order to protect students, faculty, and staff. This is the second threat against a Catholic school in the Los Angeles area in just three days. On Monday, classes at [link url=”http://ktla.com/2017/01/09/classes-canceled-at-notre-dame-high-school-in-sherman-oaks-following-email-bomb-threat/” title=”Notre Dame High School”] in Sherman Oaks, California were cancelled due to a bomb threat sent via email. [relink url=”https://amuedge.com/terrorism-in-the-kansas-heartland/”]
- On Monday, the [link url=”http://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/latest-storm-batters-napa-valley-closes-roads/article_7698aadb-1407-52af-948c-29ab06e24094.html” title=”new Napa Valley flood control bypass near the Oxbow district weir was tested”] as weekend storms delivered torrential rains and sent a slew of water down the Napa River. The bypass, completed in 2015, was designed as part of the overall plan to keep Napa free of floodwaters and developed in conjunction with the Napa Creek project finished in 2012 by the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers. When it is [link url=””http://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/napa-s-flood-control-bypass-does-its-job/article_bef7ccce-f577-593a-b8f9-d8ff4e658f2a.html”” title=”not acting as a flood control measure, the bypass serves the public as a park”] that includes walking paths, lawns, and other features for residents and visitors to enjoy. [relink url=”https://amuedge.com/risk-mitigation-the-best-investment/” url2=”https://amuedge.com/mitigation-and-cities-in-decline/”]
- More recalls have been added to the [link url=”http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm534847.htm” title=”list of products”] possibly tainted by powdered milk products that [link url=”http://www.miamiherald.com/living/food-drink/article121622557.html” title=”might contain salmonella”] from supplier, Valley Milk Products. White Peppermint Twinkies, produced by Hostess, along with [link url=”https://palmercandy.com/news/palmer-candy-company-announces-voluntary-limited-recall-of-select-candy-pro” title=”Publix’s brand Almond Bark with Cocoa and Peppermint Bark Candy”] are among the new products being recalled due to milk powder that is potentially tainted with salmonella. A [link url=”http://www.miamiherald.com/living/food-drink/article125830254.html” title=”total of 25 products have been recalled”] as a result of the allegedly tainted milk powder, and both Hostess and Publix note that consumers can return the product to the purchase store for a refund or throw the product away. [relink url=”https://amuedge.com/edm-monday-briefing-winter-weather-cyclone-vardah-salmonella-terror-attacks/”]
- Heavy precipitation along the west coast has resulted in torrential rains resulting in flooding and mudslides in California and heavy snow that stranded vehicles along roadways in Oregon, according to the latest reports. [link url=”http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/heavy-snow-strands-cars-in-portland-oregon-flooding-triggers-mudslides-in-california/70000519″ title=”Blizzard warnings are in effect in the mountain areas of California”], and officials are asking travelers to avoid the area due to the current weather conditions. Washington State is reporting a number of road closures due to heavy snow, including Highway 50, which could reopen Wednesday.
- A Category 5 hurricane force wind gust was recorded at the Squaw Valley ski resort at its 8,700 foot peak of [link url=”https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/torrential-storms-bring-snow-mudslides-flooding-173-mph-winds-in-california/2017/01/09/8c75b076-d69a-11e6-9f9f-5cdb4b7f8dd7_story.html?utm_term=.ecdcef8fc69d” title=”173 mph on Monday”], and sustained winds of 100 mph pummeled the area for over an hour. The storms also caused the giant Sequoia, the [link url=”https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/us/pioneer-cabin-tree-sequoia.html” title=”Pioneer Cabin Tree”], in Calaveras Big Trees State Park near Lake Tahoe, to topple, splintering the trunk. The tree had a diameter of 33 feet and was 150 feet tall. Over the last few days, several mudslides have been reported across California, including one in Contra Costa County early Wednesday morning which toppled power lines and stranded one vehicle. The FAA also reported that high winds and heavy rains caused flight delays of nearly three hours at San Francisco International Airport on Tuesday. Weather forecasters are cautioning residents in affected areas to [link url=”http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/heavy-snow-strands-cars-in-portland-oregon-flooding-triggers-mudslides-in-california/70000519″ title=”stay alert to continued severe weather”] including heavy rains, flash flooding, strong winds, and heavy snowfalls. [relink url=”https://amuedge.com/winter-weather-vehicle-travel-preparedness/” url2=”https://amuedge.com/extreme-weather-killed-thousands-and-cost-billions-across-the-globe-in-2016/”]
— Orlando Police (@OrlandoPolice) January 10, 2017
— Cole Miller (@ColeMillerTV) January 11, 2017