Emergency and disaster management briefing for March 31, 2016: Tornadoes touch down in Oklahoma, thousands of dead fish surface in Florida and the collapse of an overpass in India traps more than a hundred people.
- At least seven people were injured after [link url=”http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/30/us/severe-weather-tornado/” title=”tornadoes struck Oklahoma“] last night. Tornadoes touched down in the greater Tulsa area, while parts of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee all were under tornado watches until early today.
- Officials in Brevard County, FL decided not to declare a state of emergency after [link url=”http://www.wftv.com/news/local/brevard-leaders-to-meet-to-discuss-fish-kill-problem/184899168″ title=”more than 65,000 pounds of dead fish“] surfaced on the Indian River Lagoon and Banana River. Experts believe that the presence of a brown algae bloom resulted in [link url=”http://www.wftv.com/news/local/brevard-leaders-to-meet-to-discuss-fish-kill-problem/184899168″ title=”lowered oxygen levels in the water“] and caused the mass killing. Despite opting against declaring an emergency, officials did [link url=”http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2016/3/29/brevard_county_fish_.html” title=”seek $200 million“] to help clean up the lagoon and river.
- [link url=”http://www.reuters.com/article/us-india-collapse-idUSKCN0WX0T7″ title=”An overpass collapsed“] in Kolkata, India, killing at least 10 people. It is feared that as many as 150 remain trapped under the piles of metal and cement. The overpass has reportedly [link url=”http://www.reuters.com/article/us-india-collapse-idUSKCN0WX0T7″ title=”been under construction since 2009“] and construction has been [link url=”http://time.com/4277440/india-kolkata-overpass-flyover-collapse-girish-park/” title=”delayed at least six times.“]
- The hackers responsible for the [link url=”http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-md-medstar-ransom-hack-20160330-story.html” title=”ransomware attack on Medstar“] are reportedly offering a “bulk discount” to unlock the files corrupted by the attack. MedStar, which operates 10 hospitals and other facilities in the Baltimore-Washington region, is the latest of a number of medical network and facilities in the U.S. to be hit by a significant cyber attack in recent months.
- The annual [link url=”http://www.ibtimes.com/obama-host-his-last-nuclear-security-summit-north-korea-terrorism-likely-dominate-2345957″ title=”Nuclear Security Summit“] begins today in Washington, D.C. Representatives from more than 50 countries and organizations will attend the two-day conference. Talks will likely center on [link url=”http://www.ibtimes.com/obama-host-his-last-nuclear-security-summit-north-korea-terrorism-likely-dominate-2345957″ title=”North Korea and ISIS“] as the world leaders aim to “strengthen the global nuclear security architecture.”
- In Minnesota, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced that [link url=”http://www.startribune.com/No-charges-against-police-in-Jamar-Clark-shooting-death/373979481/” title=”no charges will be filed against the two Minneapolis officers“] involved in the shooting of 24-year-old Jamar Clark last fall. According to Freeman, investigations revealed that Clark was uncuffed and reached for an officer’s gun during the altercation, and the officers acted accordingly. [link url=”http://www.startribune.com/No-charges-against-police-in-Jamar-Clark-shooting-death/373979481/” title=”Protestors began gathering“] yesterday at the scene where Clark was shot after the Freeman’s announcement.
- A recent study revealed that [link url=”http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-zika-fetus-idUSKCN0WW2O0″ title=”early ultrasounds may not detect Zika virus“] in pregnant women and that it might not be until the 19th week of her pregnancy that signs of the birth defects first appear. Zika virus has not been proven to cause microcephaly in babies, but [link url=”https://amuedge.com/who-mounting-evidence-of-zika-virus-microcephaly-connection/” title=”there is growing evidence“] to suggest just that.
- A recent report from the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) revealed that [link url=”https://amuedge.com/arctic-sea-ice-reaches-record-low/” title=”Arctic sea ice levels reached a record low“] for the second consecutive year. Data showed that levels of Arctic sea ice this month were the lowest ever, which is prompting more concerns about rising sea level and other possible repercussions.
[relink url=”https://amuedge.com/bridges-left-unchecked-at-what-cost/” url2=”https://amuedge.com/report-more-than-58000-bridges-across-the-u-s-need-attention/” url3=”https://amuedge.com/transportation-infrastructure-bridges/”]
[relink url=”https://amuedge.com/education/cyber-security-the-true-greatest-threat-to-our-future/” url2=”https://amuedge.com/ransomware-becoming-a-growing-threat/” url3=”https://amuedge.com/a-look-at-cyber-security/”]
[relink url=”https://amuedge.com/study-estimates-zika-virus-risk-in-50-u-s-cities/” url2=”https://amuedge.com/who-mounting-evidence-of-zika-virus-microcephaly-connection/”]
[relink url=”https://amuedge.com/education/sunday-book-ted-talk-reviews-sea-level-rise/” url2=”https://amuedge.com/saturday-guest-blog-miami-area-sea-level-rise/”]