Emergency and disaster management briefing for June 16, 2016: Investigators report the discovery of EgyptAir Flight 804 wreckage, searchers find the remains of a young boy involved in a Florida alligator attack, Democratic Senators stage a filibuster to force talks about gun control, and the country remains divided on what to do in the wake of the Orlando mass shooting.
- Egyptian investigators reported yesterday that [link url=”http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36543969″ title=”EgyptAir Flight 804 wreckage had been located“] in the Mediterranean. More specifically, [link url=”http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36543969″ title=”several main locations of the wreckage“] were identified, and one of the deep sea search vessels involved in the weeks-long search sent back the first images of the aircraft remains. With the wreckage now located, investigators should be able to find the plane’s black boxes and get a clearer picture of what happened during the flight.
[relink url=”https://amuedge.com/egyptair-flight-804-brings-renewed-focus-on-tsa-in-u-s/” url2=”https://amuedge.com/a-not-so-direct-flight-egyptair-804/”]
- Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings announced Wednesday afternoon that searchers [link url=”http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-child-dragged-alligator-disney-20160614-story.html” title=”found the remains of a missing 2-year-old boy“] who was attacked by an alligator and dragged away Tuesday night during a family vacation near a Disney hotel. Divers reportedly found the boy approximately 10-15 yards from the shore in six-foot-deep water; it is believed that [link url=”http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-child-dragged-alligator-disney-20160614-story.html” title=”the boy was drowned,“] as his body was intact. It is the second known fatal alligator attack in Florida in the past year.
- Senate Democrats [link url=”http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/sen-chris-murphy-starts-talking-filibuster-over-gun-control-224369″ title=”ended a nearly 15-hour filibuster“] early this morning, shortly after midnight. Senator Chris Murphy of Connecticut and other Democrats officially relinquished the floor after 15 hours of continuous discussion about gun control; the move came just days after the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history in Orlando. The filibuster ended after Republican leaders reportedly [link url=”http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/orlando-nightclub-massacre/filibuster-ends-after-gop-agrees-allow-gun-control-votes-senator-n593396″ title=”agreed to allow votes on two proposed gun control measures.“]
[relink url=”http://edmdigest.com/response/gun-violence-in-chicago-the-deeper-implications/” url2=”https://amuedge.com/orlando-gun-violence-yet-again/”]
- The Orlando shooting has ignited fierce debates around the U.S. about what could possibly be done to avert future mass shootings. Response to the Orlando shooting is showing perhaps a growing divide in U.S. public opinion on gun control and gun rights. Some gun control advocates have said that current gun issues constitute a [link url=”http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gun-researchers-orlando-mass-shooting-is-a-public-health-emergency/” title=”public health emergency,“] while others have called for [link url=”http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/06/14/orlando-shooting-gun-control-army-military-gun-regulations-storage-background-checks-column/80845384/” title=”strict military gun control.“] On the other side, gun rights advocates have argued that [link url=”http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/06/13/gun-laws-deter-terrorists-opposing-view/85844946/” title=”gun laws don’t deter terrorists“] and that [link url=”http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/politics/orlando-shooting-gun-control-islamic-terrorism/” title=”guns aren’t the problem.“]
- A U.S. attorney plans to [link url=”http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/orlando-shooter-omar-mateen/” title=”bring evidence before a federal grand jury“] to determine whether charges will be brought against Noor Salman, the widow of gunman Omar Mateen. Investigators are zeroing in on whether or not she knew of her ex-husband’s plans to attack a gay club in Orlando in what turned out to be the worst mass shooting in U.S. history, and, if so, exactly how much she did know. Investigators intensified their questioning of Noor Salman after she reportedly [link url=”http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/orlando-shooter-omar-mateen/” title=”gave conflicting statements“] about her knowledge of his intentions in the hours before the attack.
- Omar Mateen reportedly posted messages on Facebook [link url=”https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/investigation-into-orlando-shooting-continues-no-impending-charges-expected/2016/06/15/c3eccf5e-3333-11e6-8758-d58e76e11b12_story.html” title=”pledging allegiance to the leader of ISIS“] on the day of his rampage at a gay nightclub in Orlando. Mateen also vowed that there would be more attacks in the U.S. in the coming days. Despite Mateen’s public pledges, FBI Director James B. Comey said earlier this week that [link url=”https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/investigation-into-orlando-shooting-continues-no-impending-charges-expected/2016/06/15/c3eccf5e-3333-11e6-8758-d58e76e11b12_story.html” title=”there are no signs that Mateen was directly connected to any network.“] The FBI is still investigating any true connection that Mateen may have had with a terror group.
- Los Angeles County supervisors voted unanimously this week to [link url=”http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-homeless-emergency-20160614-snap-story.html” title=”call for a state declaration of emergency“] in an effort to deal with California’s growing homelessness crisis. Los Angeles County’s homeless population is reportedly [link url=”http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-homeless-emergency-20160614-snap-story.html” title=”is currently at least 47,000“] and there were an estimated 115,738 homeless across all of California in 2015. This is not the first time this approach has been discusses. In 2015, Los Angeles officials [link url=”http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/22/us/los-angeles-homelessness/” title=”held a news conference“] to make a similar state of emergency declaration over homelessness, but nothing ever materialized.
[relink url=”https://amuedge.com/homelessness-becoming-a-big-problem-in-some-big-cities/” url2=”https://amuedge.com/noaa-a-hot-summer-is-forthcoming/”]
- Oklahoma Lieutenant Governor Todd Lamb [link url=”http://www.koco.com/news/State-of-emergency-issued-for-nine-Oklahoma-counties-affected-by-floods/40054532″ title=”declared a state of emergency “]in nine counties after severe storms this past weekend resulted in brought tornadoes and strong winds and resulted in flooding and property damage. The declaration allows state agencies to make [link url=”http://www.koco.com/news/State-of-emergency-issued-for-nine-Oklahoma-counties-affected-by-floods/40054532″ title=”emergency purchases related to disaster relief“] as the nine counties begin recovery.