Emergency and disaster management briefing for November 6, 2020: A Red Flag Warning preceded an approaching cold front in the Tahoe Basin; deaths in Central America rise to near 60 as torrential rainfall from Eta spawned multiple landslides; Tropical Depression Eta is again over the Caribbean and expected to rapidly re-strengthen into a tropical storm later on Friday; more than 17 counties in Nebraska were declared primary natural disaster areas by the USDA; the ship’s owner projects cleanup of the oil spill near Mauritius will be completed by January; containment of the Cameron Peak Wildfire in Colorado exceeds 90 percent as crews mop up and begin repairs on suppression lines; Yeti recalls thousands of travel mugs for their injury and burn potential from its MagSlider lid; and Lory State Park in Colorado was closed for about 24 hours as police conducted a manhunt for an armed and dangerous stabbing suspect.
- The National Weather Service issued a Red Flag Warning for the Tahoe Basin ahead of an approaching cold front that may bring area rain or snowfalls. [link url=”https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/red-flag-warning-in-effect-before-snowstorm-enters-tahoe-basin/” title=” Gusty winds were expected to reach 45 mph–with some wind prone areas to hit 60 mph–overnight Thursday to Friday morning, prompting the fire weather warning”]. Once the cold front moves through, winds could still be brisk, and temperatures are expected to drop overnight on Friday to below freezing. There will be a good chance of a quick rain shower in the lower valleys and altitudes, and snow showers in the higher elevations, with snow accumulations in most locations by Sunday, including Lake Tahoe, where 3 to 7 inches is forecast.
- Hurricane Eta slammed into Nicaragua as a Category 4 storm, and has moved slowly over the area, dumping torrential rainfall that has led to widespread flooding and landslides. The [link url=”https://www.al.com/news/2020/11/eta-kills-at-least-57-people-in-central-america.html” title=”death toll in Central America has reached at least 57 people, many of whom died in landslides in Guatemala”]. [link url=”https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/11/6/central-america-still-on-high-alert-as-hurricane-eta-kills-dozens” title=”Flooding inundated areas of Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama, as washed out roads cut off access to dozens of communities in Honduras”], and heavy rain is forecast for at least another 48 hours “]. https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1324573952962945027
- Eta is now a [link url=”https://www.wptv.com/weather/hurricane/most-of-south-florida-out-of-tropical-depression-etas-cone-of-uncertainty” title=”tropical depression that has moved back out over the northwestern Caribbean Sea and is expected to re-strengthen later on Friday”]. Although uncertainty regarding the track is somewhat high, the storm is forecast to move toward the Cayman Islands and Cuba, before brushing South Florida later this weekend or early next week. [link url=”https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/060836.shtml?” title=”Favorable conditions will help the system to quickly become a Tropical Storm again”], with high winds and heavy rainfall expected to reach areas within the forecast cone by the end of this weekend. https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1324727250244136960
- The [link url=”https://journalstar.com/business/agriculture/17-more-nebraska-counties-named-disaster-areas/article_72c57750-5330-50b5-a331-470faf751af0.html” title=”U.S. Department of Agriculture has designated more than 17 counties in Nebraska as primary natural disaster areas”] due to ongoing drought conditions. The counties are mostly in northeast and western Nebraska, and include, among others, Banner, Dundy, Madison, and Sheridan counties. The disaster declaration allows agricultural producers in eligible counties to apply for [link url=”https://www.fsa.usda.gov” title=”low cost emergency assistance loans from the Farm Service Agency (FSA)”]. https://twitter.com/JournalStarNews/status/1324200785488523264
- The ship owner of the vessel that broke apart near Mauritius in the Indian Ocean has indicated that clean up of the oil spill is expected to be completed by January. [link url=”https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/05/world/mauritius-oil-spill-clean-up-scli-intl/index.html” title=”Japan’s Nagashiki Shipping noted that all of the oil floating in the ocean has been recovered, and oil cleanup along approximately 18.6 miles of coastline was proceeding smoothly”]. The ship, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines Ltd., ran aground on July 25 on a reef, began leaking oil on August 6, then broke apart, and the spill–called the Indian Ocean’s worst ecological disaster–has affected endangered corals, fish, and marine life. https://twitter.com/biedexmarkets/status/1324686284628086785
- The [link url=”https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6964/” title=”Cameron Peak Fire burning in Colorado is now more than 90 percent contained”] and crews continue to mop up and repair fire suppression lines. The wildfire has been burning since August 13, and has scorched a total of 208,913 acres, although the cause of the fire is still under investigation. The Incident Management Team for the Cameron Peak Fire is also managing the [link url=”https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/wildfire/cameron-peak-fire-up-to-92-containment-208-913-acres-in-larimer-county” title=”Thompson Zone of the East Troublesome Fire–a spot fire that jumped the Continental Divide”]. Containment for the Thompson Zone is nearing 50 percent, which has burned a total of approximately 4,889 acres. https://twitter.com/denverpost/status/1324206737403031552
- Thousands of travel mugs are being recalled due to the potential for their lids to spontaneously eject and spill the contents of the mug. The [link url=”https://gearjunkie.com/yeti-rambler-travel-mug-lid-recall” title=”Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), in conjunction with the company, Yeti, has issued a voluntary recall for the Rambler-20 oz Travel Mug with the brand’s MagSlider Stronghold lid”]. The recall affects approximately 15,000 travel mugs that were sold from October 1-9, include the product code 34204010, and consumers in possession of one of these mugs should contact Yeti for a full refund. https://twitter.com/WTHRcom/status/1324656954585862148
- The [link url=”https://www.outtherecolorado.com/news/armed-and-dangerous-suspect-closes-state-park-in-colorado/article_ef7006ec-1f7d-11eb-9094-f3cccf8feea2.html” title=”Lory State Park in Larimer County, Colorado, located west of Fort Collins, was closed Thursday due to the hunt for an armed and dangerous man suspected in a stabbing incident”]. The suspect allegedly stabbed a women on Wednesday, November 4, then fled the scene, and police later found the man’s abandoned vehicle parked at Lory State Park. The manhunt continued through Wednesday night and into Thursday, with the suspect finally being located around 4:00 p.m. Thursday afternoon. The victim, a female allegedly known by the suspect, [link url=”https://www.outtherecolorado.com/news/stabbing-suspect-located-after-closure-of-two-colorado-parks/article_4b098750-1fb8-11eb-91c3-8b48684105bb.html” title=”was stabbed in her home early Wednesday and transported to the hospital with serious injuries”]. https://twitter.com/NOCOAlert/status/1324485059487928320